That’s what everyone wants, right? To lose that stubborn bit of belly fat and gain muscle. To drop the jiggle and uncover a fit, toned body. Unfortunately for many, it just seems to be way too hard to achieve. But what if I told you that it was possible to lose fat and increase lean muscle at the same time…
In my years of training I have found that gaining muscle while losing fat is more than possible. In fact, it’s quite easy when you get the right plan. For each of my bodybuilding competitions I have tried to lose fat while also ‘growing’ into the show, meaning that I always put on muscle. Here are 4 diet and training tips I have used in my competition preparation.
1. Eat more protein
– Most people don’t eat enough protein. The recommended 0.5g/kg of bodyweight is way outdated and is way too little to allow anyone to grow quality muscle. Increase your protein intake to at least 2.5g/kg of bodyweight and watch your waistline drop and muscles increase
2. Eat more red meat
– Red meat, in my experience, is essential for optimal fat loss and muscle gain. Easy Eating’s Eye Fillet and lamb skewers are both great sources of amino acids and arachidonic acid. The latter, a component of animal derived saturated fat, is highly anabolic and great for assisting healthy hormone levels
3. Drop your cardio and increase your weight training
– While cardio has its place, many people put waaaaaayy too much emphasis on it for dropping fat. Cardio alone does not allow muscle gain, in fact it actually inhibits it. Weight training on the other hand is a fantastic way to both burn calories (thus burn fat) and increase muscle mass! When using weights, it’s a win-win situation
4. Get a coach
– If you don’t know precisely what you’re doing then get someone else to do it for you! Using a coach is a really good way to get the results you are after and learn in the process of doing so.
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned as I will be posting a bunch of tips over the next few weeks to help you reach your goals!
James Cant IFBB Pro